Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Favorite Type of Game?:Offline RPG's
Favorite Type of Game?:Board Games
Favorite Type of Game?:Console First Person Shooters
D&D Skirmish anyone?

Post by Skyscraper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello everyone! Long time no... post.

I wanted to check if some of you were interested in learning how to play the 4th edition D&D skirmish game, officially called Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures, or DDM. The game can be played online, either in deferred play format (i.e. players post when they have time during the day, like we did for the D&D campaign) or in real-time if they agree to meet up to play the game. There are other platforms, but I use Roll20.net that works fine. It costs nothing: the rules and everything needed to play is free (everything is now tended by a Guild that is run by players that took up the game when Wizards of the Coast dropped it a few years ago, and the game is in good hands).

This is a strategy game, not a role-playing game. It is a turned-based 1v1 (although 2v2 can also be played) battle between two warbands that typically have about 8 creatures each. Each creature has a set of stats with special abilities. The creatures are taken from the D&D game and the stats and powers are greatly inspired by the D&D game, such that the skirmish game is about 95% identical rules-wise than the 4th edition D&D game that was played here.

The main difference is, of course, that there is no DM. Only two players. So there are no subjective calls; only objective rules.

I really love this game. Here is why it is such a great game:

1) The game is played out on an official colored battle map. There are about 40 different maps available. Also, each game can, and usually do, pit different warbands against each other. So the result is that no two games are similar.

2) The options available during a battle are numerous, such that it is truly unpredictacle how a battle will pan out.

3) Constructing warbands in advance is fun and entertaining. There are fan-made online tools that help a lot. So when you're ready to play, you reveal your warband to your opponent, and get the surprise of what he's playing; and then you see how what you prepared fares. This said, to start, it's possible to use one of many premade warbands.

4) The creatures themselves are really fun, with each having but a few powers that are evocative of the D&D creature it represents. For example, a dragon might have a breath weapon, a claw attack, and a power to boost allies.

5) The metagame is truly fun presently, such that there are many, many possible top-tier competitive warbands to play.

7) The game continues to be developped, with new stat cards being issued for new miniatures that are produced by Wizards of the Coast (through the Wizkids company), so the good warbands of today will need to compete with new blood.

8) Where the game really shines though, is in how evocative it is. The game might well be a strategy game, but it tells a story in the end. For those that like D&D, that atmosphere is simply great.

Of course, I'd be happy to teach anyone how to play - which should not take long assuming knowledge of D&D 4E. If there are enough players, we could even play small tournaments, once everyone is familiar with the game.

The actual time requirement is shorter than what the D&D game required. Indeed, you only need to decide what your 2 units do in combat during your turn, when you log in to post. Then it switches to the other player's turn. Assuming players log in twice a day to play, 10-15 minutes each time is probably sufficient. A game will usually be over within about a week, depending on the posting frequency.

Here is an example game that is over between myself and another player called Novato https://app.roll20.net/join/1812984/Hr-4EA (that I crushed, incidentally ;) ). You'll note that you can double-click on unit images to access unit stats. I'm unsure, with restricted access of visitors in the game, if you can access all info in there however. Anyway, notably: map layer with map; creature icons each filled with all creature stats required for the game; and a chat window to the right, with dice rolling in it.

Is anyone interested in trying this out?

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:MuchTooSexy
What Games Do You Play?:Pirates of the Burning Sea
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's

Re: D&D Skirmish anyone?

Post by mts » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 am

that sounds very interesting... i'd be curious to see how that works, even if i'm not one who's playing.

Trick
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
What Games Do You Play?:D&D
Favorite Type of Game?:RTS
Aliases:Trick, or some variant thereof

Post by Trick » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:30 am

I'm interested as well. Hope to have time this weekend to dig into it.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Cool!

Trick: do you wish for us to provide an exhibition game? Others will be able to log, however they won't be able to see past moves (there is no log), but they can log on at any time to see the status of the game, and the chat log can provide some indication of what went on previously.

Here are the basic resources:

The DDM Web Tool(tended by Ira Fray) is the best place to get all information. This is Ze Site.

The DDM Guild Websiteis where the stuff "officially" happens, but in practice the site is not as up to date as the above Web Tool site. Many links from the previous Web Tool site actually point to the Guild site, for instance rules and errata. The forum of the few active members is hosted on the Guild site.

Of note: the Web Tool is presently being updated to add the 4 latest sets. I.e. the online warband building tool is not fully up to date, it has, say, 90% of the cards. The data entry is completed for those sets, but the database support needs to be somehow tweaked to (insert tech talk that I am unfamiliar with here). It should be done shortly, perhaps by the time anyone here builds a first warband.

This is a lot of information to digest at first. I can guide you through it, one step at a time. A vast majority of the stuff does not need to be known at this time. It is fully worth it in my opinion: according to me, the DDM game is the best thing to have come out of the 4th Edition D&D rules.

Here is the basic stuff you need to know:

1) for a first game, you'll use a premade warband, so no need to search for statted creatures yet. You can play around with it, but any warband you'd make is highly likely to be vastly underpowered unless you pick one up, say in the World Championships threads of the Guild site.

2) Here are the rules.. I'll give a crash course in a distinct post.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:47 pm

DDM Rules Crash Course

Both players show up at a game with a warband of predefined value and maximum number of creatures. The default is max 200 points and 8 creatures. We'll use this as our base assumption as the game is designed around the 200 point format and it is best balanced for this format.

The purpose of the game is to score a number of points equal to the game value, e.g. 200 points. As soon as one player reaches 200, the game is over instantly and he wins.

The main way to score points is to destroy the opponent's creatures. Each has an associated point value that is generally aligned with its power. Typically, between 70% and 90% of points are scored in this way.

One other way to score points is to have creatures standing in victory areas that are located on the map, at the end of a round. This allows a player to score 10 points (no more, no less) per round in a 200-point game format. Having multiple creatures in victory areas does not allow to score 10 point per creature: you can only score 10 points in a given round for having one or more creatures standing in a victory area. Typically, between 10-30% of points are scored in this way.

Finally, there are rare creatures that have powers that allow you to score points in other ways. For example, a dragon might allow you to score additional points if it is in a victory area or a paladin might score points for defeating a higher level enemy. This is almost exceptional however and in most games no points are scored in this way.

The game plays as follows:
  • Each player reveals his warband and his map selection. I enclose an example of a 200-8 warband and an example of an official game map.
  • Unless players agree to a random or predetermined map, players select the map in a manner that I'll explain below.
  • Players set up on the map in the start areas, in a manner that I'll also explain below. All this is pretty straightforward and, in summary, initiatives are rolled to determine who gets the pick the map and who gets to set up first, and then one player places all his creatures in his start area, then the other player.
  • The battle then starts.
The battle occurs in rounds (like in D&D). During each round:
  • Start of round powers are used, if any
  • Players roll initiative to see how plays first: the player who wins initiave either plays first or defers the first turn to the other player
  • The first player to play activates a single creature during his turn
  • Both players then alternate turns, and during each player turn (except the first), a player activates 2 creatures that each take a creature turn, until all creatures have activated
  • Round ends
During each creature turn, as in D&D, the creature can take, in any order:
  • An attack action: they are listed on the creature's card; or, the creature can charge, moving up to its speed and attacking with its basic attack with a +1 bonus
  • A move action: the creature can move its speed, or can shift a single square to avoid OAs
  • A minor action: they are listed on the creature's card, if any.
Also like in 4E D&D, attack actions are divided into four types: melee, ranged (distant: single target), close (adjacent area of effect blast, burst or line), area (distant area of effect burst, multiple target).

Also like in 4E D&D, you can replace an attack action by a move or minor action; and a move action by a minor action.

Attacks work as in D&D: you roll a d20, and if you beat the opponent's relevant defense (AC, Reflex, Fortitude, Will), you hit, dealing damage and imposing effects if any (e.g. stunned or immobilized) as indicated on the creature card.

Other powers are also listed on the creature card.

Stuff like opportunity attacks, cover, concealment, conditions, combat advantage, pretty much all work like in 4E D&D. Invisibility is an exception, since both players can see the creature on the battlefield. In summary, an invisible creature is not "ignored" by the opponent. The invisible creature simply cannot be targetted by ranged attacks or by area (sight) attacks; has conceal 11 vs melee attacks; can be normally targetted by close or area (limited distance) attacks; does not provoke OA's; and has combat advantage when it attacks. Otherwise, you can interact with it as you want.

There is one type of creature called a Champion. Champions work like all other creatures, but they have (1) a Champion Rating; and (2) Champion Powers.

Champion Powers work like any other power. The Champion can use its Champion Powers a total number of times equal to its Champion Rating. For example, a Champion that has a Champion Rating of 3, has 3 uses of its Champion Powers, notwithstanding how many different Champion Powers it has. For example, if it has 2 Champion Powers, he can use one of its Champion Powers 3 times, or one twice and the other once.

The Champion Rating, in addition to indicating the number of uses of Champion Powers, is also uses when rolling Champion tests. A Champion Test is called for to determine who gets to chose the map, who gets to set up first, and then each initiave during each round of combat is a Champion Test. During those Champion Tests, both players compare their single highest Champion Rating. If they are equal, both players each roll a single d20. If one is higher than the other, the one with the higher Champion Rating rolls 2d20 while the other player rolls a single d20.

I'm probably forgetting a thing or two, but otherwise, you're pretty much set to play.

Simply let me know if you (Trick) want to kick things off; and anyone else also (I can manage multiple games at once); and we'll play the game. I'll set things up of course.
Attachments
FallenFortress.jpg
FallenFortress.jpg (2.37MiB)Viewed 703 times
200-8 BORDER Champion Devil.pdf
(303.4KiB)Downloaded 195 times

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Skyscraper wrote:Hello everyone! Long time no... post.

Is anyone interested in trying this out?

I am interested

Harrower

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Okay, I'll start a game with Harrower. Everyone is welcome to lurk in the game -however, please don't post in the game itself (if it allows you to). You can post in this forum if you want.

I'll start a new thread for this game.

Oh and Trick, I'm not short-circuiting you. If you want to play also, I can run both games in parallel.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Here are pointers on how to use the Roll20.net web site, when in-game.

General settings

When you enter the game, top left, you have a map and icon interaction menu. First, make sure you're on the "objects and tokens" layer, and not on the map layer.

Then, adjust the zoom to have the map fit your screen. I use 50 or 60% on my comps.

You can then remove the annoying oversized player icons and keep the names only (I don't know that you can remove those) by accessing the settings option in the top right menu

And then scroll down about 70% until you can adjust player avatar size to "name only".

Okay, now we're done with setting up your screen. Here are some options for interaction with the environment:

In the top left menu, you can click on the arrow at all times, which is the selection tool.

Moving a creature around

Simply drag and drop. Its position auto-aligns with the grid.

Accessing detailed creature data

Double-click on the creature icon. You'll access its detailed data.

You shouldn't have to modify this during the game, except:

Any limited use power, I've put brackets in front, that represent a box to check that you can put an X in when you use'em:

[ ] (not used)
[ X ] (used)

In this screen you can change the tint of the creature icon, to represent it being invisible or insbstantial, for example, as noted above with the red arrow.

Accessing summary creature data

By single-clicking on a creature icon, you access the summary creature data in a circular menu:

Here you see its current HPs in the red circle, and this is where you remove or add HPs as the creature is damaged or healed.

I put the creature's speed in the green circle for quick reference.

Nothing goes in the blue circle.

You can also add a bunch of tags to the creature, by clicking on the tag icon identified with the red arrow above.

There, you'll access this:

Before you start the game, put a green dot tag on all creatures. This will be our code to identify creatures that have not activated yet. When you activate them, you remove the green dot.

You can also add other icons to help the game visually. E.g. I’ll also add an icon, say a skull, to indicate an offensive aura that the opponent should be aware of. There’s a bunch of icons you can use to help you out.

When my creature moves, I’ll make a copy of the creature avatar with the usual copy-paste commands with mouse or keyboard shortcuts, and I’ll cross-out with the big red X in the tag menu one or more copies of my creature avatar that I’ll leave at its initial position or any intervening position to show the displacement that it made. This allows my opponent to see what I did, not only to confirm that I didn’t make an error, but also it’s more fun to play when you can trace the creature displacements easily. If you use this, I suggest deleting crossed-out copies of your opponent’s creatures that were left there for your perusal, at the next occasion.

Chat and die rolling

Access the chat window by clicking on the chat option in the top right menu

Here, to roll a d20, type into the chat: “/roll d20” or, shorter version : “/r d20” (no quotes)

You also write what you do during your tunr. Be detailed about what unit activates, what it does, including copy-pasting powers it uses into the game chat so that your opponent doesn't have to find where the power is; and identify how many uses you have left for that power.

Here is a slightly complex example :
Dwarf merc activates.
Battle plate marshall uses CP (2/3): Use when a Dwarf ally activates. That ally moves up to its Speed.
Dwarf merc moves 10 to X-out position, to then charge red wizard, total 15 move
/r d20 (result = 16)
+11 + 1 charge + 2 CP = 27 vs AC 25
Hits, 15 + 5 CP = 20 dam
(FYI, "CP" is short for "champion power", that was used at start of round in this case)

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Man do I write long posts :)

All of this looks a bit complicated? It isn't. The interface with the roll20.net site is super intuitive; and the rules for the DDM game are very similar to 4E, apart form the exceptions noted in my previous post.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:04 am

Anyone else want to try their hand at this game? I can even guide a game between two newbies, if you prefer. By guide, I mean instruct as to how the game pans out; I'll let everyone play their stuff.

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I would recommend this to anyone with a tactical interest
the options are quite involved due to the range of powers and the interaction between units
game is deceptive in the application as it is the stacking and linking of powers that makes or breaks you
well worth the look in my oppinion

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:MuchTooSexy
What Games Do You Play?:Pirates of the Burning Sea
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters

Post by mts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 am

i haven't had a chance to follow up on this because i can't get to gaming sites (JOB included) while at work, and my computer at home is down at the moment.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

mts wrote:i haven't had a chance to follow up on this because i can't get to gaming sites (JOB included) while at work, and my computer at home is down at the moment.
Anyone interested, simply let me know and we'll hook up.