Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Favorite Type of Game?:Offline RPG's
Favorite Type of Game?:Board Games
Favorite Type of Game?:Console First Person Shooters
Re: Chapter 6: The Malachite Fortress

Post by Skyscraper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Sealamin Darksbane wrote: I will also familiarize myself with the basics of the Lute and inquire as to the availability of competent instruction
my reduced need for sleep and the lengthy delays as we wait for officials to arrive appear to provide good opportunities to practice
Okay, so you spend some of your free time trying to learn the lute from now on.

You have heard a few times since arriving in Cauldron a few weeks ago an old gnomish bard named Roost play the lute. He also sang and told stories too. He was very good in your opinion. It so happens that you heard him twice in different establishments and once on a street corner where a sizeable crowd had gathered to hear him out, to everyone's amusement.

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:10 pm

once I have exhausted my independant ability to master the lute (shouldn't take long) I will seek our Roost and see if he will provide some pointers for me

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Sealamin, after questioning a few barkeeps, you find and meet with Roost who happens to be a jovial fellow who's surprised that an Eladrin would take interest in him. Roost Behring is his name, and he has grey hair and wrinkled skin, a large nose and a quick tongue.

"Well what do you know! An Eladrin wants to learn from me! Well well well well well that's something." He smiles as he looks at you. "If I had long slender fingers like yours, I'd probably be playing for the Count himself. Hhmm, now let me see how you play." He listens to you as you ackwardly pull a few strings. "Alright, let's stop here before we break anything, shall we? Come, I'll show you how to handle the lute as you would a young Eladrin maiden..."

And so you start learning the lute with Roost. He's very impatient but beyond that you find that he knows his stuff very well.

Let me know where you sleep that night (and presumably the following nights): Slippery Eel or another inn? (You have a list in the Cauldron Player Information document, in the Player Information thread.)

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:56 pm

I will stay at the slipery eel in hopes of crossing paths with the young lady that I was talking with the first time we stayed there. Should we cross paths I will tell her the tale of our adventures in much the same way I did at dinner. :)
When time allows I will practice the Lute. Should my skills plateau I will seek out Roost again for further instruction, I will also be interested in his oppinion of the lute's quality.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 pm

So you stay at the Eel again. The small noisy common room is this night again packed with people that often look at you with hostile stares, though a few recognize you from your previous visit here. The people that frequent the Eel are obviously poor and a lot of them are way too drunk for their own good. A couple of fights break out during the evening, with the doormen throwing out the participants with a kick in the butt.

Sealamin, you do not meet the young elf maiden you had seen before.

Assuming you do nothing else this brings us to the next morning. You have a full day before your scheduled meeting with Captain Skellerang on the next day. Let me know if you do something specific or not. (And in the abence of posts for a few days, I'll also consider that you don't do anything specific.)

Parared
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:parared
What Games Do You Play?:Mass Effect, D&D, SC
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters
Aliases:para parared szord

Post by Parared » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:30 am

With a full day to explore, I wave to my comrades, and walk out into the
town. Mostly I wander, taking the feel of the town, looking for fellow
travelers, exchanging pleasant conversation as I find it.

I stop in at the temple of Pelor, and leave a donation ( 10GP ), talking
to the priest, and praising them for their good work. I take my leave,
and pass on, occasionally stopping to refresh myself, dropping a few
coins into the few begging bowls I see. For lunch, I find myself at the
Drunken Morkoth, where I chat with the travelers I find there, seeking
news of the road, enjoying a nice fish stew, looking the place over.

As I walk, I think about Sealamin's new interest into stringed instruments.
Nostalgically, I keep and eye out for a mandalin, thinking it might
help to pass the time, and perhaps Sealimin would like someone to
perform with ...

After lunch, I think about shopping, peaking into passing shops, the
unfamiliar weight of money in my pocket, remembering my old
friend Cara saying 'He who dies with money in his pocket is a fool'.

I find Tygot's facinating, and poke around looking for a particularly
classy holy symbol, hopefully one that has a nice +1 on it. If I fail
to find anything there, I pass on to Skie's, where I am sure to find
a (boring) +1 holy symbol.

As afternoon starts to wane, I find myself looking through the maps
at Westkey's. I'd be interested in a map of the surrounding country,
if it come not too dearly.

Walking back to the Inn, I stop for a moment in the temple of Ioun,
again leaving a small donation, and passing some time with the
priests there.

Finally, as day passes to night, I find myself back at the Slippery Eel,
which suffers in comparison to the Morkoth, but seems to possess
a quantity of honesty, sincerity, and strength that surpasses the
gentler place. I take a moment to buy a round for the crowd, and
cast my eyes about, looking for a nice young girl to approach.

SunTzu2
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Location:Vancouver, Canada (Home of the 1915 Stanley Cup Winners!)

Fea

Post by SunTzu2 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Fea walks the city checking out shops for a new piece of equipment. Eventually he ends up at Skie's shop and she had just what he needs. After leaving Skie's, Fea wanders about aimlessly, thinking about all that he'd seen recently. From what he's heard, things seem to be changing for the worse hereabouts, and Fea begins to wonder how things are back home. He asks passers by if there's an elvish district in the city where he might find news of Eor.

PylonHead
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by PylonHead » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

After picking up my excellent new suit of leather armor (stained black of course), I spend the a day or so hanging around the common room of the slippery eel: drinking, singing, and trying to get the pulse of the town.
You must construct additional pylons!

rosencrantz
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters

Post by rosencrantz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm

I shop around for a while, looking for a new holy symbol at Skie's (a +1 of life if I can find one). I also spend some time roaming about the market stalls, trying to get a feel for what kind of goods people bring in. While I'm roaming the stalls, I listen to rumors and try to get a feel for any sort of troubled hotspots in the area.

After I've done that for a while I go visit Rejden, elaborating more on my recent travels, and talking to him about the area, trying to piece together from stories or rumors he's heard to see how common this type of slaving operation is, or if there are other troubles in the area.

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm

I will prioritize my time across 3 tasks
most important is making inquires across the city (including with Jenya at the temple) for word of 'The Silver Sorcerer' or the 'Silver Necromancer'.
secondary importance is finding suitable companionship, ideally the elf maiden from before but elf maiden's are like re spawning random encounters, if you miss one ...
thirdly I will practice my lute potentially even working on a duet with Discidio

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

To all:

I'll reply to the individual threads for all to read - to avoid spoilers galore. I think it'll be more interesting for everyone this way. Consider that your PC is not aware of what happens to others, unless the others indeed mention that they tell you what happened to them (please be specific about this).

When you mention that you speak with people without specifying a topic, I might reply with a general statement in return also - or not, arbitrarily. At any time, don't hesitate to let me know if you strike up conversation more deeply with anyone.

To Discido: (Though again, everyone can read)
Szord wrote:With a full day to explore, I wave to my comrades, and walk out into the
town. Mostly I wander, taking the feel of the town, looking for fellow
travelers, exchanging pleasant conversation as I find it.
The city is very active during daytime with a lot of people crowding, and sometimes overcrowding, the streets. After having passed some time here, you understand that the relative security that the walls and militia offer the citizens acts to attract a lot of travellers and families that do not feel safe in the nearby mountains and countryside. You understand why, mind you; even though this part of the world is not so savage as other regions, it remains hostile and security is sought after.

People speak of the coming winter which, in the lowlands and in Cauldron itself, mostly means a rainy season. There are some preparations to make for this and people come to buy some provisions, tools and equipment. Of course, this also means overtime work for plantation workers as they harvest the crops (including coffee beans) before the wet season starts.

You hear a few people mention goblins in the city of Cauldron. Rumors of vandalism - a store being robbed or a public building being defaced - are mostly what you hear on the topic. One of the main question that comes up is: how have they managed to cross the wall?
I stop in at the temple of Pelor, and leave a donation ( 10GP ), talking
to the priest, and praising them for their good work.
The temple of Pelor is very small and modest in Cauldron (though the clergy of Pelor is very important in Perin). The cleric is a a human, relatively young, you'd say in his mid to late twenties. He introduces himself as Kristof Jurgensen. He's of a small stature and has a thick, curly brown beard. He appears polite and discrete to you, but he's willing to entertain conversation.
I take my leave,
and pass on, occasionally stopping to refresh myself, dropping a few
coins into the few begging bowls I see. For lunch, I find myself at the
Drunken Morkoth, where I chat with the travelers I find there, seeking
news of the road, enjoying a nice fish stew, looking the place over.
The Morkoth is a nice Inn. Not rich by any means, but still above the Eel. The place is larger too and many travelers stop here to eat or sleep on their travels. In addition to topics that I've mentioned above, you hear all sorts of tales, from that of an apparently notorious centuries-old red dragon roaming the mountain range somewhere away from here, to the ogres being defeated by or vanquishing the Count's soldiers.
As I walk, I think about Sealamin's new interest into stringed instruments.
Nostalgically, I keep and eye out for a mandalin, thinking it might
help to pass the time, and perhaps Sealimin would like someone to
perform with ...

After lunch, I think about shopping, peaking into passing shops, the
unfamiliar weight of money in my pocket, remembering my old
friend Cara saying 'He who dies with money in his pocket is a fool'.

I find Tygot's facinating, and poke around looking for a particularly
classy holy symbol, hopefully one that has a nice +1 on it.
At Tygot's you find both a mandolin and a holy symbol. Tygot, the owner, is a small, skinny old man with grey hair and generous sideburns. He tells you straight out that he doesn't haggle and that if you're not satisfied with his price you can take your business elsewhere. Apart from being a bit gruff, he's relatively pleasant to talk to.

The mandolin is made of wood and though it's strings could benefit from being changed, it has been nicely painted with a dragon that extends around its entire casing and who's head bears a striking resemblance to that on your sword. The cost is 30 gp - more than an ordinary instrument of this type, but Tygot tells you that it was painted by a traveler who stayed in Cauldron several years ago who claimed to come from beyond the Great Desert where a kingdom ruled by a dragon existed.

The holy symbol you find is nothing to write to your relatives about, but is appealing in its simplicity: it is carved out of a piece of red wood such that each slice taken off by the knife is voluntarily most obvious. The three waves of Avandra stand out nicely in such a way on a smooth background.

As afternoon starts to wane, I find myself looking through the maps
at Westkey's. I'd be interested in a map of the surrounding country,
if it come not too dearly.
The Map Emporium is an interesting place for a traveler. It indeed has maps of the region, in addition to maps of the city itself and even maps of some public buildings. Weskey, a red-haired dwarf who's surprisingly deft considering that he must weigh about 500 pounds well counted, speaks glibly of his maps and his shop and his work - not only does he sell maps, he also draws some. As you enter his shop, he is in the midst of drawing a map of the neaby village of redgorge, with his map-in-progress surrounded by about two hundred sheets with sketches, notes and drawings. Let me know what you are looking for more specifically. The maps cost about 20-30 gold pieces a piece. (You can see a very general map of the Cauldron region in the Background thread.)
Walking back to the Inn, I stop for a moment in the temple of Ioun,
again leaving a small donation, and passing some time with the
priests there.
The cathedral of Ioun is very impressive. Even larger than the temple of Bahamut, it's inner halls are vast and impressive. The main door must be about thirty feet in height. You see at least five or six acolytes inside, each at a small desk, occupied writing things down or copying a book's content into another. They are generally much more reserved and not of the talkative type, though they thank you for the donation.
Finally, as day passes to night, I find myself back at the Slippery Eel,
which suffers in comparison to the Morkoth, but seems to possess
a quantity of honesty, sincerity, and strength that surpasses the
gentler place. I take a moment to buy a round for the crowd, and
cast my eyes about, looking for a nice young girl to approach.
Paying a round for everyone brings you more than one appreciative smile, but you notice that more than a few members of the crowd look at you with stares that suggest trouble. People here are poor and your gold-filled pouch from which coins spill to buy some beer for strangers does not go unnoticed. Conveniently however, neither do your nice sword, and for the time being the other... guests appear to keep their distance.

As for nice young girls, there are a couple at your arms once you're done playing for your round. Though one misses a few teeth and the other barely speaks understandably, they are good looking enough and obviously ready to hear your stories.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: Fea

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 pm

SunTzu2 wrote:Fea walks the city checking out shops for a new piece of equipment. Eventually he ends up at Skie's shop and she had just what he needs. After leaving Skie's, Fea wanders about aimlessly, thinking about all that he'd seen recently. From what he's heard, things seem to be changing for the worse hereabouts, and Fea begins to wonder how things are back home. He asks passers by if there's an elvish district in the city where he might find news of Eor.
Skie is happy that you bring some business to her and, if you're so inclined, would love to hear stories of your own adventures.

There is no elvish district in the city, though you occasionally pass some elves in the city. Generally, the kingdom of Algaroth in which the county of Cauldron is located, is home to many elves. After the humans, they are probably the most numerous race, though nearly not as numerous as the humans themselves. One elf that you meet gives you the last news he heard from Eor, that you already knew. Another informs you that he heard that a great army of orcs has been defeated near the city of Circombe (in the South) and that each and every orc had been killed - no prisoners, no survivors.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

PylonHead wrote:After picking up my excellent new suit of leather armor (stained black of course), I spend the a day or so hanging around the common room of the slippery eel: drinking, singing, and trying to get the pulse of the town.
Most people are friendly enough, though the place is rough and you witness a few skirmishes between clients during the day. You also see one client who claims to have been robbed of his purse, but he's had too much to drink and his cries of outrage annoy the doorman who finally throws him out.

People are generally glad to hear you sing, and for some songs others follow along. This helps getting acquainted with a few clients, though some of them you'd rather have avoided (including the one who ended up puking right in front of you, missing you only because you were quick enough to dodge the uncontrolled spray - redefining the breath weapon).

You hear stories of all sorts, from the great Morkoth in the Lake (it appears like it must surface every morning and afternoon to feed so many stories) to the nobles that take money from "us poor ordinary folk". You hear about the goblins that have been spotted roaming in the city: "I wonder if they're allied with the kobolds that were cleared out of some old caves a couple of weeks ago". You hear about the upcoming winter and the flood season, as people seem to call the rainy season here. You understand that the way the city is built inside a bowl, that a lot of rain means a lot of problems including a flooding lake. You hear about the roads being somewhat secure or being controlled by bandits, depending on who you speak to.

If you're inclined to tell your story saving the citizens, you have a lot of people that want to hear it.

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:26 pm

rosencrantz wrote:I shop around for a while, looking for a new holy symbol at Skie's (a +1 of life if I can find one).
I also spend some time roaming about the market stalls, trying to get a feel for what kind of goods people bring in. While I'm roaming the stalls, I listen to rumors and try to get a feel for any sort of troubled hotspots in the area.

After I've done that for a while I go visit Rejden, elaborating more on my recent travels, and talking to him about the area, trying to piece together from stories or rumors he's heard to see how common this type of slaving operation is, or if there are other troubles in the area.
The main market (near where you initially all met when rescuing Rufus, the cleric of Bahamut) is pretty large, comprising several dozen stalls. You find a lot of stuff there, from small decorative items to horses and livery. Food occupies an important part of the market of course: fish from the crater lake in the middle of the city, but also oats brought in from the lowlands, dried meat, vegetables and, of course, coffee. Only in Cauldron will you find fifteen different stalls offering as three times that many different types of coffee beans. You also see one place where weapons and armor are being sold, and yet another stall where the merchants' guild looks to recruit man-at-arms to escort merchant caravans that travel afar to sell local wares, mainly coffee, obsidian and diamonds, though other things too: wolf pelts, a few weapons and armor, crafted jewellery.

People in the stalls are very open to smalltalk, though the merchants will rarely extend any conversation when it becomes apparent that you're not going to buy anything. Still, you hear rumors of the city and region both. You hear of goblins that were spotted in the city, of goblins that were spotted outside the city, of frost giants that would be forming a large army to crush the city any day now, of the merchant guild that wants to up the prices of armed escorts; you hear rumors of shadowy silhouettes that have been seen jumping from rooftop to rooftop in the night, of House Lathenmire thinking it is better thant the rest, of serpent people in the jungles in the lowlands.

Skie doesn't have any holy symbol of the Raven Queen, but mentions she'd be able to find one. However, this proves unnecessary since Rejden sells you one of superior quality, made from black polished malachite stone, of all things (not sure what it is you're looking for, please see PMs). Since it is thin, it's not too heavy but still doesn't appear too brittle.

Rejden ends up being of a relatively good companionship. Silent and reserved, he's still happy to briefly discuss what's going on and likes hearing news of your own travels and experiences. He asks about where you come from, what regions and towns you've visited, what you're doing here in Cauldron.

About the region, he knows quite a bit although his replies are quite concise. Let me know what it is that you ask him or what topics you want to address with him more specifically.

As to the slaving operations, Rejden replies: "Slaving has always existed in Algaroth that I know of, even though it is a crime punishable by death. I know that the capital city of Sasserine is one of hubs for this type of illegal activities. It is by no means common, but ever present nonetheless."

Skyscraper
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Skyscraper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Sealamin Darksbane wrote:I will prioritize my time across 3 tasks
most important is making inquires across the city (including with Jenya at the temple) for word of 'The Silver Sorcerer' or the 'Silver Necromancer'.
secondary importance is finding suitable companionship, ideally the elf maiden from before but elf maiden's are like re spawning random encounters, if you miss one ...
thirdly I will practice my lute potentially even working on a duet with Discidio
Jenya is away from the temple for the day, but you meet with Rufus Laro (the cleric you rescued) and he mentions never having heard of a silver necromancer or sorcerer. Apart from that, I'm unsure what inquiring across the city means for you, please specify. Do you walk up to people on the street asking them about it?

As for the elf maiden, Yldaen, you finally meet her again at the Slippery Eel once your day is over. She smiles at you when she recognizes you and leaves three other men who were interested in buying her a drink to go talk to you. She's quite beautiful and her coy, slightly naughty smile leaves an impression on her attendance. She asks about your adventures and listens to your story assuming you decide to tell her your tale, but remains evasive when invited for more promiscuous activities. Still, she likes hearing more about your adventures and you realise that indeed, what you do is quite out of the ordinary.

As for the lute, you find Discido has a new instrument too, and you both think it is better for the time being to practice by yourselves in the comfort of your room than trying to give a show to an attendance. A single complete song is still out of the question, let alone a duet, but practising together: why not.