Chapter 8: Goblin Pursuit

Archived threads

Moderators:mts, Skyscraper

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Re: Chapter 8: Goblin Pursuit

Post by Harrower » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm

At lunch I share with the group the conversation we had with Jenya and the opportunity we have to ask their artifact a question as we did with the missing children.
We need to craft a single question that we can ask the artifact with the hope of providing us insight and direction to drive us to a successful resolution of this affair.
I am much more familiar with a research based approach where I can repeatedly research questions in sequence until I have a successful perspective on the issue. I am not well suited to ask a single question and hope the gods will tell us what to do. I did not find insight from the artifact the helpful with the children but I will suspend my disbelief and if someone can craft an insightful question I suggest we take advantage of the opportunity.

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:MuchTooSexy
What Games Do You Play?:Pirates of the Burning Sea
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters
Favorite Type of Game?:Console First Person Shooters
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's

Post by mts » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Rolen, not quite understanding the artifact's abilities, asks bemusedly, "Why not just ask a simple question that would have an unequivocal answer that we can use? Like maybe 'where can we find this head priest guy?' "

He then shakes his head and says, "I've traveled to many places, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen a deity directly intervene in mortal affairs like you've described." Rolen scoffs. "No deity controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Parared
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:parared
What Games Do You Play?:Mass Effect, D&D, SC
Favorite Type of Game?:Offline RPG's
Aliases:para parared szord

Post by Parared » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm

"So, another job, and one that promises answers to questions we already
carry.

First question, do we wait till the morrow, for the rituals that Sealamin and I have
ordered from Skie's? We will need half a day of study after they arrive before they
can be used. Does anyone remember how long the festival is supposed to run?
The flood ritual is cast on the last day.

For myself, I am tempted to leave immediately, before the trail grow colder, making
for the Monkey.

Lastly, we get a question for the oracle. Since we cannot count on it for an quick and
clear response, I'd propose a question to motive, that might serve both our immediate
task as well as what follows, something like 'what will come to pass should the flood
ritual not be performed'

Ideas?"

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

Parared wrote:"First question, do we wait till the morrow, for the rituals that Sealamin and I have
ordered from Skie's? We will need half a day of study after they arrive before they
can be used. Does anyone remember how long the festival is supposed to run?
The flood ritual is cast on the last day.
Lastly, we get a question for the oracle. Since we cannot count on it for an quick and
clear response, I'd propose a question to motive, that might serve both our immediate
task as well as what follows, something like 'what will come to pass should the flood
ritual not be performed'
?"
regarding timming I think we should wait for the rituals. it is only this evening's march we would lose and we would gain the advantages of our purchases contributions to our efforts. I recognize the urgency of the effort but rushing out for the sake of a few hours march at the expense of additional tools seems to be a poor trade

as for the oracle. Lets be clear the last time we were told
The Locks are the key to finding them. Look beyond the
curtain, below the cauldron. Beware the doors
with teeth. Descend into the malachite 'hold,
where precious life is bought with gold. Half a
dwarf binds them, but not for long.

this did not aide me in the slightest, I am not sure about the rest of you.
I agree with Discidio that asking a direct question might be helpful but I would focus it more on something like "what forces will we face in recovering the tools for the ritual"

what about other's thoughts

rosencrantz
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by rosencrantz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Sorrin laughs as Rolen's commentary about deities and laughs a bit saying, "I suppose it depends on what you consider intervene, and how closely you look. You might be surprised the closer you look at things...."

"As far as questions goes, I agree with Discido, motive. If we can find out why someone would want to do something like this, then we can at least predict what they're going to do next, and maybe use what else we know to figure out how they are. Although we'd have to be careful on how we ask because we want the motive of the person planning this, not the person executing it, just in case they're a cat's paw in this whole ordeal."

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by mts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Rolen says, "The way you described the priestess, it seemed to me that the matter was quite urgent. The trail may be too cold by the time we get there if we wait another day. plus, there's no guarantee that the shipment for the items you are waiting for won't be late, further delaying us."

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 pm

another option might be to ask location
what if we asked where we should go to recover the ritual items

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by mts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Rolen was in between bites of fresh bread, enjoying the midday meal when Discido and Sealamin's news makes him stop instantly. The group continues to discuss and deliberate their options. Rolen's earlier comments did not seem to give them the sense of urgency he was feeling.

"My goal is finding Triel Elderast. If we are able to save the missing priest, Sarcem Delasharn, so much the better. However, it sounds like time is of the essence. We should get moving."

Rolen gets to his feet and waits for the group to respond. As he stands there waiting, he quickly wolfs down the remaining pieces of bread while taking large gulps from a pint of mead. Wiping away the excess with the back of his sleeve he adds, "No time to discuss this as a committee."

rosencrantz
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by rosencrantz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:39 pm

Sorrin smirks a little, and quietly whispers to Sealamin, "I cannot help him. That Elf has no patience."

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:07 pm

mts wrote: Wiping away the excess with the back of his sleeve he adds, "No time to discuss this as a committee."

"Rolen, you are welcome to venture forth on your own if you feel the need to do so. None of us will stand in your way.
We however function as a group that requires the consideration and deliberation of different perspectives, particularly when it is hard to imagine the additional 2 minutes it requires having any impact on the outcome but those same 2 minutes can prevent us from making a rash and hasty mistake."

mts
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by mts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Rolen accepts there will be no victory in this debate and lets out a sigh, shaking his head slightly. Rolen heads over to the bar and asks Mrs. Welvih if there was any fresh baked cobbler or other dessert type dish.

PylonHead
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by PylonHead » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 pm

"As far as questions goes, I agree with Discido, motive. If we can find out why someone would want to do something like this, then we can at least predict what they're going to do next, and maybe use what else we know to figure out how they are. Although we'd have to be careful on how we ask because we want the motive of the person planning this, not the person executing it, just in case they're a cat's paw in this whole ordeal."
As Jack speaks up, the whole group turns around to listen, realizing that they had almost forgot that he was here.

"There might be another way of answering that question. We've been questioning our friends about the Blue Duke and other mysterious goings on around the city, to little avail. I know my way around towns, and I know how to talk to people. If I had a few days to make some contacts around town and ask some discrete questions, I might be able to learn some things that could help us put this together."
You must construct additional pylons!

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Jack your presance would be a major loss should we encounter a tough spot but the opportunity to advance our understanding of this Blue Duke would be a major benefit.
I think that is a risk worth taking.
Good idea

SunTzu2
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Location:Vancouver, Canada (Home of the 1915 Stanley Cup Winners!)

Fea

Post by SunTzu2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm

"You guys let me know when you've decided what we're going to do", says Fea as he leans back in his chair and closes his eyes.

Harrower
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Harrower » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Well it seems that Rolen and Fea are not going to participate in our deliberations
Jack has decided to do some individual investigations
Discidio would like to ask to oracle about the impact of floods and then leave immediately
I would like to ask to oracle about destinations (right now I think we would need to head to the monkey) and leave in the morning (I must admit that my impending date with Yladen might be influencing my perspective to some degree)

this leaves Sorrin to weigh in and help determine our path ... what say you?