[NEWS]Microsoft Buys Minecraft for $2.5b

News from the frontpage will be crossposted here. Comment on the frontpage or reply here to discuss the news articles.

Moderators:mts, taova, carrier, Morgan

bokou
Administrator
Administrator
What Games Do You Play?:Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's
Aliases:Bokou, Gill, Lovaire, Grill, Bokia, Crowder
Computer:Coolermaster HAF case, AMD Radeon 6970, 8gb G-Skill 1600, 1200w Corsair PSU, Asus Crosshair IV Formula, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, AMD 965 3.4ghz (OC'd to 4.0ghz)
[NEWS]Microsoft Buys Minecraft for $2.5b

Post by bokou » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Wow... didn't see this coming and thought the rumors of it were out in left field. It was announced today though on Mojang's website that Microsoft has purchased all of Mojang (mainly Minecraft, but the Mojang name and stuff as well) for a whopping 2.5 billion dollars.

So the big question is - what does that mean? Well nothing right now. According to the announcement, the majority of the team will probably continue to work on the game as usual. Updates will continue as usual. They don't know the distant direction Microsoft will want them to go in, but for now there's not much likely to change. So that means we won't be seeing microtransactions or a metro-interface in Minecraft any time soon *snicker*. Notch has said though that he's leaving Mojang after the purchase is finalized. His letter sounds a lot like Curt Cobain's letter about how he didn't want to become some big name and be famous and just wanted to make music because he enjoyed making music - except with video games.

It will be an interesting thing to watch post-acquisition. It's either going to go down in history as an example of how a huge company can buy an indie gaming studio and not ruin their games, or it's going to be the biggest example of big companies buying out indie studios and ruining them and everything that they make that people enjoy from a small indie studio.
Steam Profile: Bokou
BF3 Profile: CaptBokou
The Rants and Raves
Bokou's Mumble Server: Click Here
JOB Minecraft Server: games.journeyofbokou.com
JOB Terraria Server: Offline
JOB WoW Server: Click For Info

Shaun
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: [NEWS]Microsoft Buys Minecraft for $2.5b

Post by Shaun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm

The only change I want to see from this is to have my realm migrated onto some closer and beefier MS servers.

I sure hope I don't see much else. Hate to have the community stop supporting the resource pack that I like to use.

We shall see, I certainly hope MS doesn't mess this up.