Starbound’s beta should start today and should be on Steam around 12pm Central (US) time. For you Pacific-Coast guys that’s 10am and for you East-Coast guys that’s 1pm. It should be around $15 or so on Steam (a benefit of early adoption) and is likely to go up to Minecraft-price after full release. You can go ahead and buy it now on their website if you want and will get a Steam key later on today after it’s on Steam. One thing to remember – is that this is the very first iteration of public beta, so there will be patches and updates daily and you may get updated with changes that force you to start your character or world from scratch. Don’t be too bummed out by this because it’s an early release and every patch or update they roll out is fixing bugs or possibly adding content. For those of you who played Minecraft during it’s beta will surely remember starting new worlds in order to generate new “chunks” filled with the new biomes or structures, etc.
Here’s a trailer to get you as excited as we are.
New expansion for WoW announced at Blizzcon today. Here’s the reveal trailer to get your feet wet:
Here’s a little bit about what we know so far.
- Garrosh will be put on trial and escape before a verdict. He is going back in time, altering the current timeline slightly.
- Garrosh’s goal is to stop the Orcs from drinking the blood of Mannoroth and building the Iron Horde using technology from the present.
- The end of this expansion is going to spill over into the next one. Many more expansions are lined up now.
- Homeworld of the Orcs, heart of the Draenei, lots of giants, seven new zones.
- The Iron Horde is here to take an army into Azeroth and your job is to stop them.
- Netherstorm will be used in a future patch, not at launch.
New Player Models
- New models have lots of facial detail, teeth, tongues, smiles, and animations. Gnome, Orc, and Dwarf are ready for preview.
- Dwarf (click to view)
- Orc (click to view)
- Gnome (click to view)
- Build your own base on Draenor, WoW version of Housing (and return of MoP farm likely)
- Your friends can come and see it, trade resources.
- Collect followers and send them on missions, raids, quests, etc.
- Collect trophies from achievements, mount rare spawn heads on walls, etc.
- Buildings provide unique buffs/bonuses
- Upgradeable similar to the MoP farm
Boost to 90
- New levelcap of 100
- Warlords of Draenor will boost one of your characters to Level 90 for free.
- The boost will clean up your bags, quest log, and action bar to reduce the mess.
Dungeons Raids and PvP
- Seven new dungeons at launch – 4 for levelling, 3 for level cap
- Two new raids for level cap
- Mythic new difficulty harder than Heroic
- Ashran new PVP zone, persistant with no start/end like Wintergrasp – more like original AV
For a more detailed breakdown and more info, head over to MMO-Champion.
Today is Blizzard’s Blizzcon conference at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. They just announced that they were down to 7.6 million subscribers – but that’s only down from 100k and in a different perspective – they retained 98% of their subscriber base over the last quarter. If you’d like to stick your head into the /r/wow community’s IRC channel, point your browsers here or your IRC clients to irc.quakenet.org and joining the #blizzcon channel. Here’s a schedule detailing the events of the two-day gaming conference.