[NEWS]Feed The Beast

News from the frontpage will be crossposted here. Comment on the frontpage or reply here to discuss the news articles.

Moderators:mts, taova, carrier, Morgan

bokou
Administrator
Administrator
What Games Do You Play?:Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4
Favorite Type of Game?:PC First Person Shooters
Favorite Type of Game?:MMORPG's
Aliases:Bokou, Gill, Lovaire, Grill, Bokia, Crowder
Computer:Coolermaster HAF case, AMD Radeon 6970, 8gb G-Skill 1600, 1200w Corsair PSU, Asus Crosshair IV Formula, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, AMD 965 3.4ghz (OC'd to 4.0ghz)
[NEWS]Feed The Beast

Post by bokou » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:19 pm

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

So several of us have been playing a little Feed The Beast modpack for Minecraft and I can't express enough how much more enjoyment it's brought back to Minecraft for me personally. I tend to play Minecraft in waves where I remember how much fun it is, play it for a month or so, and then quit playing once I've found myself some diamonds and everything seems kind of moot beyond that. With FTB Unleashed (the modpack that we use) there's a hundred different types of machinery and new dimensions or biomes to explore.

They've just launched a new website and will be rolling out a new launcher to help you be able to pick and choose mods you wish to install and making a "private" modpack to share with your friends will be as easy as sending a mod list and configs. The launcher will do the rest.

If you're trying to get back into the swing of Minecraft and just get bored, try grabbing the Feed The Beast launcher and giving one of the modpacks a shot. It adds tenfold more to the game than it comes with and you'll likely run out of time to play it before you run out of things to do!
Steam Profile: Bokou
BF3 Profile: CaptBokou
The Rants and Raves
Bokou's Mumble Server: Click Here
JOB Minecraft Server: games.journeyofbokou.com
JOB Terraria Server: Offline
JOB WoW Server: Click For Info

Parared
Forum Helper
Forum Helper
Steam Alias:parared
What Games Do You Play?:Mass Effect, D&D, SC
Favorite Type of Game?:Offline RPG's
Aliases:para parared szord

Re: [NEWS]Feed The Beast

Post by Parared » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:19 pm

stupid question time, are these all client side?

bokou
Administrator
Administrator
Computer:Coolermaster HAF case, AMD Radeon 6970, 8gb G-Skill 1600, 1200w Corsair PSU, Asus Crosshair IV Formula, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, AMD 965 3.4ghz (OC'd to 4.0ghz)

Post by bokou » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:10 pm

no and yes

no meaning you can't add them and then expect them to work on a server without the mods ex: Industrialcraft/Buildcraft/Portal Guns/etc.

no meaning you can't NOT have them and expect to be able to join a server with them ex: Industrialcraft/Buildcraft/Portal Guns/etc.

yes meaning you can play single player all day long

yes and no meaning some of them are client-side only and some are required to be on the server and the client. ex: NEI/Voxel Minimap/etc.

Basically the rule of thumb is that if it modifies HOW you do things - it could be client or server+client. If it modifies the way things look or something in your interface it's generally client only. If it adds new blocks or new items of ANY kind it's generally server+client.

When you run the launcher there's a button that says "download server" which will download a server package for the selected modpack. It won't contain things it doesn't need like client-side only mods or much in the way of a GUI once the server is running (aka terminal only for minimal resource use). You can throw it on a server and run the bat file it'll have or you can just start a SMP and click Open To LAN if you're playing with a family member.
The Rants and Raves

Shaun
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Shaun » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Is FTB updated to run with 1.6.2 client?

bokou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bokou » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:31 pm

It is not. There are a couple major mods that FTB is kind of known for using that are either not stable or completely not finished for 1.6.2. IndustrialCraft (loads of machines, electricity, etc) has a few builds that can run on 1.6.2 but I didn't bother using it when I started playing a modded 1.6.2 in a single player map. Then mods like Thaumcraft (magic mod, it's being completely reworked) if I recall are completely not finished for 1.6.2, as is the case with Thermal Expansion (good stuff for Buildcraft) and a couple others.

If you're bent on playing 1.6.2 FTB then write down your favorite things from FTB Unleashed or Unhinged, figure out which mods they're from, and see if those are updated to 1.6.2 and install just those mods manually with Forge.

The only downsides to using 1.5.2 instead of 1.6.2 are the differences in the base game.. things like riding horses and redstone comparator, etc. The benefits to using a modpack like FTB Unleashed over manually installing them is when you find a bug, you don't have to figure out exactly WHICH mod is causing the bug, go see if the mod has been updated, download it, replace the one in your mods folder, and hope that fixed it. With FTB Unleashed they've got a running bugs-list thread that the mod authors work with and every now and then will release updates to FTB unleashed with updated mods that work better together. Updating it is as simple as clicking "yes I'd like to update" when you click launch.

With what I did here I just popped a few mods that I enjoyed into a zip that work with 1.6.2. There aren't very many so bugs are few (haven't found any) and there aren't very many to keep track of when they update.
The Rants and Raves

Shaun
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Shaun » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I made the mistake of playing some Minecraft with all these mods. All these new mods and creatures makes it quite difficult. I should not have played cause now I am all about trying to keep alive and keep my house from being destroyed again.

Played it a lot. Damn game is way more addicting than I thought it would be.

The new mods definitely help. They are pretty intensive though. Had to update java to make it more stable.

Keep losing my house to giant flaming ogres destroying my walls. Tried stone bricks and that doesn't help at all.

taova
Administrator
Administrator
What Games Do You Play?:World of Warcraft

Post by taova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Which server are you guys currently playing FTB on?
Unfiltered honest opinions.

Shaun
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Post by Shaun » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

My kids only play on a friends server.

I disable all the mods except the furniture mod currently so they can play there.

Then enable all the mods again for when I play and single player stuff.

Haven't tried Bokou's server again yet. I think we are running all the mods he suggested but running the newest version of Minecraft.

Which I don't think Bokou is running the latest on his server because my kids kept complaining they couldn't connect anymore.

bokou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bokou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:30 pm

aye, It's running FTB Unleashed which includes way more mods than the couple you're using for the latest version of Minecraft.

If you wanted to connect to my server, grab the FTB launcher and launch Unleashed. Close back out and run the launcher again. This time click "Edit Modpack" and make sure to enable Biomes O Plenty, Enchanting Plus, Nether Ores, and Reliquary. You'll also need to download Mr Cray's Furniture Mod from the frontpage and add it by clicking Add Mod and browsing to the zip file. If you get confused, read my guide on adding new mods to FTB packs.

Also, PM me or text me and I'll add you to the whitelist.
The Rants and Raves