Minecraft 1.8 Change List
This is a constantly updating changelist of Minecraft’s Adventure Update patch 1.8.
Read the changes that made it from this list to the official 1.8 update. Click here to see the list!
UPDATE: Notch said in this PAX 2011 video that they’re going to finish up what they have and release it “in a couple of weeks” as 1.8 and do the rest of the Adventure Update as 1.9. The Adventure Update as it’s been referred to will be split between two patches.
I’m going to try to organize all the info we know about what’s coming in the Minecraft 1.8 Adventure Update. I’ll be linking to sources which are mainly Jeb and Notch’s twitter accounts and a few other sources like reddit etc. Leaving off second and third sources when I already list one. I’m also leaving off smaller things like “Rain renders faster” and “New mossy cobblestone texture and minecart sounds”.
- NPC Villages that will contain several buildings.
- NPC Villages will have town borders.
- Villages will also have farms.
- Players will be able to claim land.
- NPC Villages will have wells and blacksmiths that use lava forges.
- The buildings are made of Cobblestone and some Moss Stone, they have a Wooden door, they also have roofs made of Wooden Planks and Glass windows.
- NPC Villages will have their own biome in order to solve many of the problems currently hindering their development.
- Huge Mushrooms will be added and will get their own biome.
- There will be more than one type of Huge Mushroom.
- They will have their own biome and will not appear in places like forests unless planted.
- Rivers will be in 1.8. Notch posted a photo of a river with a large mushroom on the banks.
- Here’s a map of rivers intersecting land formations
- Deeper oceans
- New Fractal-based biomes.
- Larger Biomes
- Underground Ravines
- Underground Ravines may also appear on the surface creating canyons
- Stongholds (also known as ruins) will appear randomly through the world.
- Stone Brick, Mossy Stone Brick, Cracked Stone Brick, and Iron Bars were revealed in the same image as being the materials that make up the strongholds.
- There will be vines/ivy that grows. It will be biome colored and is not currently climbable.
- Fence gates will be added as a part of 1.8.
- Abandoned Mine Shafts are a new dungeon similar to Strongholds. They will have wood planks, rail, cobwebs and Blue Spiders.
- Endermen will be a new mob.
- They’re named Endermen after their resemblance to “Slenderman”.
- They steal blocks (unknown which types) and are passive until you look directly at them (cursor directly over them) and will remain frozen in place until you look away at which point they attack the player.
- They can teleport about once per second and will only teleport to a place that is visible to the player.
- They leave a trail of black smoke particles behind them.
- They start to smoke when angry (PAX 2011 video)
- Wearing a pumpkin helmet protects you from them becoming aggressive.
- Creepers have a new explosion animation (PAX 2011 video)
- There will be a new mob called “Blue Spiders” that poison you when they bite. When bitten your health turns yellow and decreases for a few seconds. (PAX 2011 video)
- Silverfish are rumored to be added in 1.8, but this is not concrete and has not been confirmed
- Pigs will have snouts now
- Redstone will not break after /time set X.
- User placed leaf blocks won’t decay
- Clouds won’t travel through buildings (raised cloud level above max build level)
- New Combat Mechanics
- Critical Hits
- Hold to charge bows
- Blocking with RMB while holding a weapon
- Player blocking attack animation and hostile mob attack animations, possibly more player animations
- Arrows will stick in mobs when they are shot (zombie to the left)
- When you kill a mob it will drop “experience orbs”. The object of these orbs is not yet known. (PAX 2011 video)
- Jumping and hitting a mob on your way back down will cause sparkles and seems to hit for more damage (PAX 2011 video)
- An arrow’s damage is now determined by it’s speed. Shooting downward will increase damage because of gravity.
- More Farming options
- Plantable Pumpkins and Melons
- New Brick Stairs and possibly Smooth Stairs (PAX screencap)
- Animal Breeding
- At least 9 new recipes
- Rotten Flesh (not sure what it’s purpose is)
- Cooked Chicken
- Raw Chicken
- Raw Beef
- New graphic for cooked pork
- Zombie Food is a new drop that fills your hunger bar but poisons you.
- Eating will take 1.6 seconds and has it’s own animation
- There will be a food meter (full/empty) but it’s an optional dynamic to gameplay
- If the food meter is full you will regen health on your own (similar to peaceful ssp)
- If the the food bar is empty in MC 1.8, it will slowly drop your health to 5 hearts on easy, to 0.5 hearts on normal, and kill you on hard.
- New Torch light is warmer
- No chunk updates required for sun/moon setting/rising
- Field of View and Gama Sliders
- New Launcher for 1.8
- Modding Support
- New Glass Panes
- Sprinting by double tapping forward key
- Any action can be bound to a mouse button or any keyboard button.